It’s no secret that media will distort the truth to push a narrative, especially when it comes to politics. It can be hard trusting what people say about politicians. One prime example is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
Odds are you’ve heard her name at some point. She’s been the talk of the town in the political world. Today we’re going to break down who she is, what she stands for, and why she’s been catching headlines the way she has. But unlike CNN or Fox News, we’ll give you nothing but the honest facts.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, also known by her initials, AOC, is the U.S. Representative of New York’s 14th congressional district. A member of the democratic party, she was elected into her role on January 3, 2019.
She gained media attention last June when she was announced to have won the election, defeating a 10 term congressman that held the spot prior. She is the youngest woman to ever serve on Congress at age 29.
Now on to the controversial part.
AOC is a member of the Democratic Socialists of America. A rather progressive platform, she advocates for things like Medicare for All, federal jobs guarantee, guaranteed family leave, establishing a Green New Deal, anti border wall, free public college, renewable energy, and a 70% marginal tax rate for incomes above $10 million.
Her liberal ideals, combined with the noteworthy success in congressional elections, have made her a prime target for news and media.
We won’t tell you who or what you should vote for. All we want to do is provide honest and accurate information and let you live your own life. Below are some quick summaries on AOC and the positions she takes on common political issues.
- Abortion: Pro-Life, Access to reproductive healthcare for women
- Gay/Trans Rights: Pro-rights, criminalization of discrimination based on gender or sexual orientation
- Major Businesses: Raise Taxes on super wealthy
- Drugs: Against pharmaceuticals that entice additions, Supports recreational marijuana
- Education: Free tuition for public colleges
- Energy: Pro-renewable energy such as solar and wind
- Military: Improve economy and foreign relationships by bringing troops home
- Government: Regulate corporate donations to government campaigns
- Gun Control: “Common sense” approach to gun reform
- Health Care: Medicare for all, health care affordable for everyone
- Immigration: Opposes a Mexico border wall, reform of ICE
- Social Security: Wants to see it expanded
If you want more about AOC and her policies, we recommend visiting the page about her on OnTheIssues.com, it lists her stance on all major issues, linking to the source of each.