Homeownership is a responsibility. From leaky pipes to setting up cabinets, there’s always something to do. And while the list of tools you need may seem expensive, there are six items that we are absolutely convinced you need the most.
Some of these tools may seem obvious, but bear with us. Each one has a very important reason for being part of this super exclusive list. These tools are the most hopeful, most diverse, or are the most “don’t think you need, but you really do” tools, broken down into a top 6 list. Let’s begin.
We know what many of you are thinking. You think you don’t need a level. Save yourself the money, don’t get one. You can eyeball it well enough. If you’re unsure, you can measure how far from the floor something is to ensure its level. YOU ARE WRONG. You’ll be hanging things all the time in a house, whether it’s paintings, posters, shelves, or TV mounts. And every single time, it will be uneven. Unless you use a level that is. Phone apps claim to work as levels, they lie. Nothing makes the process easier and quicker than just using a level. Do not skip the level. It will do wonders for wall hanging.
- 16", 24" levels feature with lightweight strong box beam frame design with smooth sides
- 9" handy light metal casing in an especially slim form - extremely sturdy
- 9" Spirit level features with milled measuring surface and 3 pieces of strong button magnet
- Easy-to-read high-visibility green bubbles which are clear and intuitive at 1 vertical vial, 1 horizontal vial and 45 degree vial
- Rubberized end caps protect against shock, comfort grips for ease of handling
A Stud Finder
This one is a powerful partner with the level. When hanging things on the wall, heavier items often need secured to a wall stud. Or if you’re using drywall hooks, you need to avoid the stud. You can trial and error, and that would work, but it’s annoying having to repeat until success. We didn’t have a stud finder when putting up a replacement cupboard after ours fell off. And man was it a hassle. It would have been much easier if we had a stud finder. Simplify the struggle, get a stud finder.
- WORKS ON WALLPAPER & FABRIC: The stud finder has a depth range of 3/4-inch through drywall and works on surfaces covered in wallpaper and fabric
- LOCATE STUD EDGES: The stud finder wall scanner has the edge detection to locate Stud Edges of Both Wood and Metal Stud
- DURABILITY: The wood/metal stud finder has Shock-Resistant & Water-Resistant body for durability and long life
A Hammer and a Saw
Mankind is all too powerful with as little as a hammer and saw. With this, there is nothing man cannot build. Using just those items, a bunch of wood, and a box of nails, I managed to build an 8ft dining table, a new office desk, a foot stool, a garden box, and even small decorations for a session of Dungeon and Dragons. It can be more than that though. You can cut and replace broken floorboards, construct new wall supports, size and replace door frames, you name it. While power tools are the most effective, you can find a rather affordable pull saw that does wonders for home projects.
- Forged steel head for superior durability
- ProTouch grip for maximum comfort even after prolonged use
- Smooth face leaves fewer marks on surfaces
- Fiberglass construction absorbs vibration and reduces fatigue
- Hybrid handle design is rounded for more comfort and fit with a curved base to prevent slippage and a hardened end cap
- This pull saw is great for cross-cuts and ripping
- A flexible pull saw blade makes flush cuts easy
- ProTouch grip adds comfort with 2-polymer handle construction
- General carpentry pull saw is ideal for exterior trim work or cutting the overhang of a gable soffit
- 12" blade features 14 points
We’re not saying that you don’t have extension cords. We’re saying you need more. You might think you have enough. But when you suddenly need to use an electric hedge trimmer on the bushes 60ft deep into your backyard, you have a very inconvenient problem. At the minimum, we recommend a total of four extension cords. Two of them should be rated for outdoor use and run the length of your yard. The other two should be rated for indoor use and run the length of the largest room in the house. We honestly recommend keeping 3 or 4 cords at 10ft around for general surprises, but we realize that everyone has their limits.
- Specifications – This grounded 3-wire, 16AWG extension cord is rated for 125VAC/13A/1625W and adds a 3-prong outlet to any grounded AC receptacle.
- Heavy-Duty – Double-insulated cord and one-piece molded plug provide extra durability while vinyl jacket protects against moisture, dust and dirt to improve longevity.
- Extended Reach – Extra-long 15ft. cord is great for tools, like hand drills and jig saws, requiring an extended reach.
- Multipurpose – Use this extension cord in your garage for equipment, in your backyard for lawn mowers and weed eaters, or on your patio for added outdoor lighting.
- Safe – This unit is UL Listed and is backed by the highest industry standards of safety and performance. UltraPro is the #1 brand in extension cords and surge protectors.
A Wrecking Bar
Tools of destruction may seem unnecessary, until they are needed. Maybe water damage from a leaky bathtub has rotten your floorboards and they need replaced. Maybe you’re breaking down a wall to make a more open floor plan. Maybe the deck needs broken down to build a new one. A wrecking bar will help make quick work of the task. You can improvise with a normal hammer or sledgehammer, but they’re not going to be very effective. Why damage the good tools anyway? Wrecking bars can bash, pry, pull, and otherwise reduce to rubble as needed. It’s what they’re made for.
- Crafted from the highest quality materials
- Built for performance and durability
- Made in China
These are easily our favorite DIY tools of all time. Clamps serve a single purpose: to hold something in place. From casual woodworking, to home repair, to making sure that whatever you’re doing doesn’t keep falling over while you go find the screws you misplaced, clamps are the unsung hero of home projects. Our favorite are bar clamps, but there are tons of other varieties that help your needs. Spring clamps are the most common and are cheaper. Bar clamps can hold things together at impressive lengths, though. If you’ve ever been mad about something not staying still, then you need more clamps.
- BASIC PARAMETER - Throat Depth : 2-3/8” from bar top of pad; Maximum opening capacity: 6”; Normal load limit: 150 lbs. Bar: 1/8”*1/2” plated, round-edge, high-carbon steel; Advancing handle: glass-filled nylon
- Light-duty E-Z hold design - the E-Z hold design allows clamp to be used in two ways - clamp or spreader. Not only can these versatile Clamps can be easily converted into a spreader Clamps, feature our exclusive patented feature that allow two clamps to be joined together to make a clamp with more than double the opening capacity of a single Clamp
- One-handed Clamp - as a standard, quick-acting Clamp, the patented and innovative sliding head maintains substantially higher clamping forces up to 300 lbs. The unique in-line advancing handle provides Comfort and ease of the use, permits greater travel per squeeze
- Features - these bar clamps combine the speed and ease of single-handed use. With 2-3/8 inch reach and furnished with soft and durable plastic pads
- Applications occasion - suitable for a wide range of woodworking & DIY projects